1 Tim 4:1-16
AWARE OF THE DANGERS ch4: 1-5
1. 2 Pet 2:1-3 False Teachers secretly entering
2. Romans 13:11-14 Sleepy Christians
3. 2 Tim 3:1-5 Worldly Christians
1. COUNTERFEIT FAITH. 4:1: This is the result of the demonic and evil spiritual forces who set out to introduce a "counterfeit or imitation faith".
Satan is described by name and nature: - let us see who they are;
1. Rev 12:9 Deceiver
2. Rev 9:11 Destroyer
3. John 8:44 Liar/Murderer
4. 2 Corinthians 11:12-15 Angel of Light
Note his methods 2 Thess 2:3-17.
· True faith results in Freedom in Godliness
· Counterfeit Faith in Slavery in Evil
2. COUNTERFEIT LIFE. 1 Tim 4:2: This is the life of a hypocrite or actor. Compare Mark 7:1-10; Matt 23:27 "How terrible for you, teachers of the Law and Pharisees! You hypocrites! You are like whitewashed tombs, which look fine on the outside but are full of bones and decaying corpses on the inside. 28 In the same way, on the outside you appear good to everybody, but inside you are full of hypocrisy and sins.
3. COUNTERFEIT HOLINESS. 1 Tim 4:3-5: This is the mistaken idea that outward actions and abstinence affects the soul and makes one holy.
4. AS A GOOD SERVANT 1 Tim 4:6-10. Compare Matt 25:14-30
Good and faithful or wicked and Lazy.
5. BROUGHT UP ON TRUE FAITH BASED ON GOOD DOCTRINE 1 Tim 6-7
True faith pleases God and results in good actions
Good Doctrine will teach us;
· About God
· About Christ
· About the Holy Spirit
· About Man
· About Salvation
· About the Church
· About the Future
6. DISCIPLINED IN GODLINESS 1Tim 7-8
a. 1 Corinthians 9:23 All this I do for the gospel's sake, in order to share in its blessings. 24 Surely you know that many runners take part in a race, but only one of them wins the prize. Run, then, in such a way as to win the prize. 25 Every athlete in training submits to strict discipline, in order to be crowned with a wreath that will not last; but we do it for one that will last forever. 26 That is why I run straight for the finish line; that is why I am like a boxer who does not waste his punches. 27 I harden my body with blows and bring it under complete control, to keep myself from being disqualified after having called others to the contest.; Paul’s example of discipline;
b. Heb 12:1-3; the believer’s race - Qualities of Godliness:
c. 2 Corinthians 6:6-7 Purity, knowledge, etc.
d. Gal 5:22-23. Fruits of the Spirit.
7. SERVING THE LIVING GOD 1 Tim 9-10.
- Deut 5:25-26 acknowledges the Majesty and Glory of God.
- Joshua 3:10 Witness the Power of God.
- 1 Sam 17 David;
- 1 Kings 17 Experience the help of God - Elijah
- Daniel 6 Daniel;
- Psalm 42:1-11 recognizes the Need for Constant Fellowship
8. ACCEPTING PERSONAL RESPONSIBILITY 1 Tim 4:11-16
Compare Mark 13:34; "to each his own work";
Rom 14: 11 In the Scriptures God says, "I swear by my very life that everyone will kneel down and praise my name!" 12 And so, “each of us must give an account to God” for what we do.
9. TO SET AN EXAMPLE 4:11-12
· Youth - Ecclesiastes 11:9 be cheerful and enjoy life while you are young! Do what you want and find pleasure in what you see. But don't forget that God will judge you for everything you do. 10 Rid yourself of all worry and pain, because the wonderful moments of youth quickly disappear. 12:1 keep your Creator in mind while you are young! In years to come, you will be burdened down with troubles and say, "I don't enjoy life anymore." Make it a time of growth and experience, with hope, a future and unlimited possibilities.
· In Speech Ephesians 4: 29 stop all your dirty talk. Say the right thing at the right time and help others by what you say. 30 Don't make God's Spirit sad. The Spirit makes you sure that someday you will be free from your sins. 31 Stop being bitter and angry and mad at others. Don't yell at one another or curse each other or ever be rude. 32 Instead, be kind and merciful, and forgive others, just as God forgave you because of Christ. 5:1 Do as God does. After all, you are his dear children. 2 Let love be your guide. Christ loved us and offered his life for us as a sacrifice that pleases God. 3 You are God's people, so don't let it be said that any of you are immoral or indecent or greedy. 4 Don't use dirty or foolish or filthy words. Instead, say how thankful you are.
· In Conduct Ephesians 5:15 Act like people with good sense and not like fools. 16 These are evil times, so make every minute count. Phil 1:27; 1 Pet 1:15-16
· In Love 1 Corinthians 13:4 Love is kind and patient, never jealous, boastful, proud, or 5 rude. Love isn't selfish or quick tempered. It doesn't keep a record of wrongs that others do. 6 Love rejoices in the truth, but not in evil. 7 Love is always supportive, loyal, hopeful, and trusting. 8 Love never fails! Everyone who prophesies will stop, and unknown languages will no longer be spoken. All that we know will be forgotten.
· In Faith Heb 11:6 but without faith no one can please God. We must believe that God is real and that he rewards everyone who searches for him.
· In Purity Heb. 12:14 try to live at peace with everyone! Live a clean life. If you don't, you will never see the Lord.