In the early Christian Church there were some noticeable practices:
· Prayed for the Emperor
· Prayed for the people around them
· Sacrificed and helped the less fortunate – widows, orphans, poor, destitute
· They witnessed to the world around them by their life and service to God.
· Christians are generally known for opposing abortion
· Christians should be known more as those who love and care for orphans and seeing orphans adopted into loving families
· Christians are to be imitators of God who has adopted us into his family
· Take care of people and love them as God loves them
· Christians need to be careful to live properly among unbelieving neighbouts
· Christians should and could care for those in prisons and coming out of prisons by being there with them on release (having someone who cares just be with them to help them as they adjust back into community)
2 Chronicles 26:4-16:
· Uzziah was not a passive person, he was positively aggressive, unlike many today in our nation
· It isn’t wrong to ask God for success; God wants to find pleasure in our achievements – we are His Children
· Success is a gift from God (Eccl. 5:18-19) and we are to use our finances and resources and enjoy them and use them for His glory
· Uzziah has success and wealth but he become proud when he became powerful
· God was the One who blessed Uzziah and made him successful, but in his pride he focused on himself
Questions to consider:
· Who has given you success?
· What is success from God’s perspective?
· Who can we guard against Pride?
Something to reflect upon this week.