Ps Phyllis shared with us some of the story of Captain Charles Sturt who discovered the Murray River (ref:page 51 Australia's Christian Heritage)
Winston Churchill said: "Never, never, never, never give up."
Checklist of an encourager:
- 1 Thessalonians 5:11-23 Build each other up - point out a good quality in them
- 1 Thessalonians 5:12 Respect leaders - look for ways to cooperate
- 1Thessalonians 5:13 Live in peace - search for ways to get along with others. Don't get offended by their behaviour. Give it to the Lord.
- 1 Thessalonians 5:14 Warn the idle - challenge someone to join you in a project or ministry
- 1 Thessalonians 5:14 Help the weak - support those who are weak by loving and praying for them
- 1 Thessalonians 5:14 Be patient - plan ahead by praying and listening to the Lord when you know of a situation coming up so through the leading of the Holy Spirit you will remain calm.
- 1 Thessalonians 5:15 Resist revenge - instead of planning to even - do good
- 1 Thessalonians 5:16 Be joyful - remember that even in the midst of turmoil, God is in control.
- 1 Thessalonians 5:17 Pray continually - God is always there for you.
- 1 Thessalonians 5:18 Give thanks - make a list of the gifts God has given you, giving thanks for each one.
- 1 Thessalonians 5:19 Do not put our the Spirit's fire - co-operate with the Holy Spirit the next time He prompts you to participate in His things.
- Thessalonians 5:20 Do not treat prophecies with contempt - receive God's Word from those who speak for Him. Become like the Bereans (Acts 17:10-12)
- 1 Thessalonians 5:22 Avoid every kind of evil. Avoid situtations where you will be drawn into temptation.
- 1 Thessalonians 5:23 Count on God's constant help. Realise that the Christian life is to be lived not in our own strength but through God's power, the Holy Spirit.
- 1 Peter 4:12-13
- Luke 12:32
- Isaiah 41:13
- Isaiah 43:2
- Jeremiah 29:11-13
- Psalms 6:8-10
- Proverbs 3:5-7
- Psalms 27:14
- Isaiah 40:28-31
- Matthew 7:12-13 (The Message)
- John 14:6
- Ezekiel 48:35